Saturday, February 6, 2010

Practice Cake

Okay, so Troy told me he wanted to make Ben's first birthday cake. I told him that made me nervous. I've lived down here for over two years now and I've yet to see a Troy cake creation. He told me that his mom used to make them all the time for people growing up, and I told him that just because his mom could do it, doesn't mean he could. I'm kind of rude, but if you know Troy, then you know you can be honest with him. Anyway, he agreed to do a trial run of a dinosaur birthday cake for Ben and if I didn't like it, then I could just buy one. So I used my iphone to document the process. Yes, so the pictures aren't the best quality, but the cake wasn't moving, which means I have no excuse for blurry pictures (except my shaky old lady hands).

Start with cake. Troy used a pan of brownie, and two pans of devils food cake. Then he cut the pieces to make this shape. He might go buy a dome shaped cake pan for the actual cake, but this worked, too.

We used fondant icing, which needs to be kneaded and eventually rolled out.


Green! Food coloring was added.


Putting the fondant over the cake pieces. Troy had put chocolate icing between the pieces and over them to get them to stick together and be even more delicious (and healthy).



Little dinosaur legs.

Kind of looks like the Loch Ness monster.

The pretty much finished product! I think he did very well. We're going to have cupcakes surrounding him that are going to have Ben's named spelled out in orange icing. These were practice cupcakes. The dinosaur is all shiny because Troy used water to get the spots to stick and to get the powdered sugar off. We decided that the dinosaur is a little overweight. He was recently divorced and ate his feelings. He also lost his job and has to work at Denny's. The next cake is going to be a little smaller. We realized all the little mistakes, so next time it's going to be even better. I think it's cute and I'm very happy that Ben's first birthday cake is going to be shaped like something instead of just a cake with a picture on it. Thank you Troy!

2 comments:

  1. That was an amazing cake. It was both delicious, and archeological.

    ReplyDelete
  2. the process doesn't look too hard. lol, and I love your overweight conclusion.

    ReplyDelete